27th of August – 1st of September 2012 in Obergurgl, Tirol, Austria.
The aim of this summer school is to talk and learn about recent developments in microstructural analysis of ice and snow. It is mostly focused on MSc, PhD and also postdocs. Undergraduates are also welcome to apply. Our goal is to get around 35 students together. Over 4 days, lecturers will present various aspects of microstructures of ice and snow, inclusing theory, analysis, experiment and numerical modelling.
During a special science and career day lecturers and participants will talk about their career, and offer advise on writing applications and proposals. A poster session is devoted to posters of all participants.
The workshop is held in the Obergurgl University Centre in the Austrian mountains, allowing us to look at “live” ice microstructures during an excursion to the nearby Glacier.
- 4 days of lectures and practicals. Lecturers are
- Thomas Loerting, University of Innsbruck, Austria
- Maurine Montagnat-Rentier, Laboratoire de Glaciologie et de Géophysique de l’Environnement, Grenoble, France
- Denis Samyn, Dpt of Mechanical Engineering (Off.# 402) Nagaoka University of Technology , Japan
- Martin Schneebeli, Institute for snow and avalanche research, Davos, Switzerland
- Ilka Weikusat, Alfred Wegener Institute, Bremerhaven, Germany
- Sergio Faria, Basque Centre for Climate Change, Bilbao, Spain
- Paul Bons, Geosciences, Eberhard Karls University Tuebingen, Germany
- Field trip
- visiting a glacier nearby
- Career day
- discuss issues and possibilities in career development; poster session
There is no registration fee. Accommodation and meals and transfer from and to Innsbruck are provided. Further travel from there is not included and needs to be provided by the participants themselves.
Thomas Lörting (University of Innsbruck, Austria)
Paul Bons (University of Tübingen, Germany)
and the rest of the microdice steering committee.
CONTACT & REGISTRATION
Registration for this summer school has now closed.
For more detailed information contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOCATION, ACCOMMODATION & VENUE
Rooms for all participants are booked at the University Center in Obergurgl (2 or 3 bed rooms). The summer school will take place in a conference room in the vicinity.
How to get there:
The travel will be to and from Innsbruck. The day of arrival should be the 26th of August in Innsbruck. The organizers will book a hotel for all participants in Innsbruck from the 26th to the 27th. On the 27th early in the morning all participants will be brought to Obergurgel by coach. On the 1st of September all paticipants will be brought back to Innsbruck right after the summer school has ended.